The cake will stay moister than most cakes you’ve ever made and you will see it separate a bit from the pan when it is done. Make sure the cake is done on the inside of the bundt pan. Bundt pan should then lift off to reveal a layer of flan, topped with caramel sitting atop a very
rich, moist chocolate cake.
Although very tempting to do this, DO NOT try to serve this before chilled completely. It falls apart, doesn’t set up, makes a big mess, ect. I know this by making that mistake!
I make my cake the day before and chill overnight. When taking it somewhere I leave it in the bundt pan until we are at the place then flip it over right before serving.
I brought this to an office gathering and it was a big hit! I’ve never had such a big response to a recipe.
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to cool before eating it! It is simply divine… pretty as a picture when presented on a delicate cake plate. Bravo!
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 can(s)coca-cola
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 bottle(23.3 oz) cajeta or any caramel topping/sauce
How to Make Chocolate Flan Cake
- Make devil’s food cake mix according to directions on box, substituting Coke for the water.
- Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs,and vanilla; mix with mixer or in a blender for 2-3 min. Set aside.
- Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 bottle of Cajeta into bottom of Bundt pan, then pour cake batter in on top of caramel. (You will pour the flan mixture down the side of the Bundt pan and chocolate cake mixture. Flan mixture will go down the side and below the chocolate cake.)
- Get a pan that the Bundt pan will fit in. Fill pan with water, then set Bundt pan in water and place in oven. Cook at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. Start checking at 45 min. Use toothpick in the center of the cake to check if done. (Cake will also separate from sides of pan when done.)
- You must cool this cake in the refrigerator at least 4-5 hours so that the flan sets up. (I make mine the day before serving and put it in the fridge overnight.) When cooled, put large plate or serving tray on top of Bundt pan and flip over. This cake is very messy because the caramel drips down when you turn it. Remove from refrigerator at least 2 hours prior to serving.