Angel food cake gets this name for a reason. It is truly divine ! The uniquely light and fluffy texture made people believe it resembles the ‘food of the angels’. It is a sponge cake made of mainly egg whites, flour and sugar- with no fat. Traditionally egg whites are whipped until they are stiff with cream of tartar and remaining ingredients are carefully folded into the egg whites. Imagine the work ! When I crave for some of this heavenly cake I simply use just 2 ingredients. Pineapples and the angel food cake mix.
- 1 box (1-step) angel food cake mix (I use Betty Crocker)
- 1 large can (about 20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the dry cake and the entire can of crushed pineapple with its juice.
3. Stir well until all the dry mix is incorporated.
4. (The mixture will get really foamy.)
5. Pour the batter into either a tube pan, 9×13 pan, or cupcake pan with liners.
6. (DO NOT GREASE THE PAN.)
7. Bake at 350 degrees for time specified on the box for size pan.
8. When the sides pull away from pan and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, the cake is done.
9. (About 30-40 minutes for a 9×13-inch pan.)
10. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.